Erected in the years 1826-27, Johnson Chapel was named for Adam Johnson of Pelham who gave most of the money to build it. Hiram Johnson and Warren S. Howland, both of Amherst, helped with the construction. From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H.…
View of College Hill showing North College, South College and Johnson Chapel. Edward Hitchcock, a professor who later became president of the College, was not pleased with the simple architecture of these buildings. He felt they "form an unsightly…
View of College Hill showing North College, South College and Johnson Chapel. Edward Hitchcock, a professor who later became president of the College, was not pleased with the simple architecture of these buildings. He felt they "form an unsightly…
View of College Hill showing North College, South College and Johnson Chapel. Edward Hitchcock, a professor who later became president of the College, was not pleased with the simple architecture of these buildings. He felt they "form an unsightly…
This building was erected in 1828-29 as the third meetinghouse of First Congregational Church of Amherst. The pillars were removed by the church in 1861 and it was purchased by the College in 1867.
Interior of Stearns Church showing pews, arches, the right transept, the carved pillar at the entrance, and a magnificent organ in the background. The church seated about 600 people.
This church building was erected in 1870-71 from designs by W.A. Potter of New York and through the generosity of William F. Stearns, who contributed the largest portion of the funds for its erection. The gable ends of the building were decorated by…
South College (in the foreground) is the oldest building on the College grounds and was constructed in 1820 and used as a dormitory. In 1891 it was extensively altered and modernized. The chapel, constructed in 1827, was used for morning prayers and…