Stearns Church at Amherst College

Image

lov0060_1.jpg

Title

Stearns Church at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This church building was erected in 1870-71 from designs by W.A. Potter of New York and through the generosity of William F. Stearns, who contributed the largest portion of the funds for its erection. The gable ends of the building were decorated by curious carvings emblematical of the Christian church. The spire contained a chime of eight bells presented by George Howe, of Boston, as a memorial of the College's sons who fell in the Civil War. The building, with the exception of the steeple, was razed in 1948, for the construction of the Mead Art Gallery.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1890

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0060

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

4.1 x 5.5 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Stearns Church at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 15, 2019, https://digitalamherst.org/items/show/149.