Johnson Chapel and South College at Amherst College

Image

lov0055_1.jpg

Title

Johnson Chapel and South College at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

South College (in the foreground) is the oldest building on the College grounds and was constructed in 1820 and used as a dormitory. In 1891 it was extensively altered and modernized. The chapel, constructed in 1827, was used for morning prayers and recitation rooms.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1890

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0055

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

3.9 x 5.9 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Johnson Chapel and South College at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 15, 2019, https://digitalamherst.org/items/show/144.