Woods Cabinet and Lawrence Observatory at Amherst College

Image

lov0063_1.jpg

Title

Woods Cabinet and Lawrence Observatory at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The building stands upon the site of the first meeting-house of the First Congregational Society The Cabinet and the Observatory were built in 1847 at a cost of $9000, which was raised by subscription, the name of Hon. J. B. Woods of Enfield being given to the Cabinet, and that of Hon. Abbott Lawrence to the Observatory, in recognition of their bequests to the College."

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1890

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0063

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

4.3 x 3.9 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Woods Cabinet and Lawrence Observatory at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 14, 2019, https://digitalamherst.org/items/show/152.