Williston Hall at Amherst College

Image

lov0056_1.jpg

Title

Williston Hall at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This building was constructed in 1857-58 through the liberality of the Hon. Samuel Williston. It contained recitation rooms, and the third floor was occupied by the "Mather Collection of Art." In the hallway of the main entrance was located a brass field piece, captured at the battle of Newberne, upon which is engraved the names of Amherst students who fell in that battle.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1890

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0056

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

4.3 x 5.7 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Williston Hall at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed December 12, 2019, https://digitalamherst.org/items/show/145.