Walker Hall at Amherst College

Image

lov0143.jpg

Title

Walker Hall at Amherst College

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

This is the original building constructed in 1868-1870 through gifts of money by William J. Walker and others. It was built to house the departments of Mathematics, Astronomy, and Natural Philosophy, and included a valuable collection of minerals which was lost when the building was gutted by fire in March of 1882. This is a view from the side, showing well-manicured landscaping and looking east down College Street, with East College behind.

Creator

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Before 1882

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the John Lovell Photograph Collection. Jones Library Special Collections

Format

image/jpeg

Language

English

Type

Photographs

Identifier

LOV0143

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

5.3 x 7.9 in.

Condition

good

Citation

Lovell, John L., 1825-1903, “Walker Hall at Amherst College,” Digital Amherst, accessed October 21, 2020, https://digitalamherst.org/items/show/232.