Group portrait of the Amherst College Class of 1877 taken on the steps of Johnson Chapel. Many of them are wearing or holding hats. Hat styles include top derbys, boaters, and casual wide-brimmed hats.
Purchased by Amherst College in 1892, the Boltwood House was remodeled as a student dining hall and renamed Hitchcock Hall. It was razed in 1916 for the construction of Converse Memorial Library, now Converse Hall.