Browse Items (132 total)

  • Tags: 1890s

View of the Amherst College Chi Psi lodge on Northampton Road, built by the fraternity in 1885.

This trade card advertises the optical business which was run by Edgar R. Bennett from sometime in the 1880s through 1903. Bennett was a watchmaker, jeweler, optician, and bicycle agent. His shop was in Merchants' Row on South Pleasant Street.

View of Thomas W. Smith sitting in a cart holding the reins attached to a horse. Written on back: "Thomas W. Smith as he appeared in the Horribles Section of the parade at the Flag Pole dedication. Picture taken at rear of 31 North Prospect Street.…

Looking north from Johnson Chapel tower toward center of town and showing College Hall, Morgan Library, and the Amherst College President's House, as well as the south end of the Town Common.

View of Morgan Library on South Pleasant Street in Amherst. The Library was constructed in the years 1852-53 by Henry A. Sykes of Springfield who was the architect and the contractor. The building was dedicated November 22, 1853.

General campus view showing College Row and Lawrence Observatory.

View of the First Congregational Church from across Main Street.

Tags: ,

View of the Old Chapel at Massachusetts Agricultural College, which was designed by architect Stephen C. Earle of Worcester and constructed in the years 1884-86. View looking across the campus pond which was created in 1892.

View looking east down Main Street toward the First Congregational Church. There is a horse and wagon rolling down the street.

This is the second incarnation of Walker Hall, built after the first building was gutted by fire in 1882. This building was torn down to clear the site for the construction of the Robert Frost Library at Amherst College.

View of trolley tracks winding through hills at the Notch with "Little Mountain" in the background.

The building seen in the foreground is the second incarnation of Walker Hall, which was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the first building in 1882. This building was torn down to clear the site for the construction of the Robert Frost Library at…

Exterior view of the Amherst College church. Built in the 1870s, the church was razed in 1948 to make room for the Mead Art Gallery.

View of Johnson Chapel and North and South dormitories and the walkway in front.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2