Amherst House hotel and business block

Image

spc_207c.jpg

Title

Amherst House hotel and business block

Subject

Amherst (Mass.)

Description

View looking west on Main Street and showing a section of Merchants' Row and the second incarnation of the Amherst House. Businesses visible in the Amherst House block include Harry H. Clark, Deuel's Drug Store, and Campion & Fish.

The first Amherst House, and most of Merchants' Row, were consumed by fire on July 4, 1879. The Amherst House was rebuilt in 1880, and was completely destroyed by another fire in 1926.

Creator

Scott, Edgar T., 1858-1940

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

Circa 1906

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational uses, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Relation

Is part of the Edgar Scott Postcard Collection. Jones Library Special Collections.

Format

image/jpg

Language

English

Type

Cards

Identifier

SPC207

Original Format

Photograph; Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 in.

Citation

Scott, Edgar T., 1858-1940, “Amherst House hotel and business block,” Digital Amherst, accessed October 18, 2017, http://digitalamherst.org/items/show/52.