Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Transportation

cj2452.jpg
Image of three boys on the side of the new road up the hill. The old road off to the left goes through "Pass of Thermopolae" and by "Titan's Pier" then rejoins the new road around the hill. Mount Tom is in the background. Utility poles on both sides…

cj2175a.jpg
A ferry carries a horse-drawn carriage across the Connecticut river. Two women and a girl sit on the carriage, one holding a parasol. Two gentlemen, one in the front, one in the back guide the ferry as a third gentleman stands looking across to the…

cj2172.jpg
View down the length of the covered bridge. A man, possibly Richard Johnson, stands, leaning an arm against one corner looking over at the stream below. A sign over the bridge is a warning about a six ton weight limit and anyone crossing the bridge…

cj2170.jpg
Two men stand by the roadside in front of a building halfway between house, barn for horses, wagons, and steam engines, and station at lower end of covered track to Summit House.

cj2164.jpg
A horse-drawn carriage faces away from the camera approaching the covered Fort River bridge seen in the middleground. A little fence leads up to it, some bare trees are scattered around, a line of telegraph poles line the right side of the photograph…

amherst_relocated_houses_marsh_house_1989_tbt.jpg
Mar 23, 1989, moving #109 Main St. to new site enar the rail road opposite Sweetser park. Police Chief D m Maia in black hat. Masonic Hall, Town Hall in background.

barnes_bar0013038_harris_barnes_boat_three_rowboats_tbt.jpg
Photograph of Harris Barnes' boat and three rowboats on a lake at Camp Coolidge, a boy scout camp on Lake Neesoponsett in North Dana, Massachusetts. Harris and Prayne Barnes are in the boat.

Parking and Jones Library 1928.jpg
View of the east side of the library and the First National Bank with street parking for both cars and horses.

jones_library_1932_cars_outside.jpg
The exterior of The Jones Library in the 1930s with 3 cars parked outside. Caption on reverse reads, "c. 1932"

misc_photographs_south_pleasant_st.jpg
Construction of a sidewalk along South Pleasant Street at a time when Amherst residents used a horse and carriage or the trolley to get to town.

amherst_record_colleges_hampshire_college_longsworth_charles_and_polly_09261968.jpg
Charles and Polly Longsworth on a bicycle on the Hampshire College campus. The Johnson Library can be seen in the background. September 26, 1968

amherst_record_19720322_stanley_family_riding_ponies_tbt.jpg
Photograph of John Stanley walking beside his daughters, Tammy and Susan, who are riding ponies. They are on Potwine Street in South Amherst. A dog can be seen standing in the background.

AccountBookConnRiverCommerceResized.pdf
Account book kept by unknown person recording transportation of goods such as salt, molasses, and rum, up and down the Connecticut River during the years 1753 through 1756.

Layingtrolleytracks (2).jpg
Upper Main Street is torn up as men lay track for the Amherst and Sunderland Street Railroad. Business blocks in Phoenix Row are visible on the right, and the Amherst House is visible in the background.

IMG_8005.jpg
View of the railroad crossing in Cushman with the Cushman Market in the background.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2