Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Fraternities and Sororities

LOVO176.jpg
View of the Lothrop house, later the Phi Delta Theta house, corner Boltwood and College Ave.

News Clipping Changes in Center resized.jpg
Article from the Springfield Republican describing the houses that once stood around the Town Common and at other areas near the center of Amherst.

lov0444.jpg
The house on the right is the first house owned by a fraternity on the Mass Aggie campus. It was initially used as the College Farmhouse. D.G.K. bought and remodeled the house in 1891 for fraternal use. The building on the left is the College…

lov0425.jpg
Unidentified house, possibility a fraternity, associated with the Massachusetts Agricultural College.

lov0364.jpg
This is the Dr. William F. Sellon house, rumoured to have had a subcellar connected to a tunnel which ran under Sellon Street to the house across. Dr. Sellon was an Amherst physician who built the house around 1824 and later ran a water cure facility…

lov0183.jpg
View of the Amherst College Beta Theta Pi fraternity house. It stood on the corner of Maple Avenue (now Boltwood Avenue) and College Street. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house.

lov0182.jpg
View of the Amherst College Beta Theta Pi fraternity house. It stood on the corner of Maple Avenue (now Boltwood Avenue) and College Street. It was demolished in 1914 to make way for the new Beta Theta Pi house.

lov0181.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi fraternity house.

lov0180.jpg
This house, on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street, was purchased by Delta Kappa Epsilon after a disastrous fire in their room in Cook's Block in 1881. The chapter remained here until they had a new house built in 1914.

lov0179.jpg
This house, on Oak Grove Hill, which leads over Lessey Street, was purchased by Delta Kappa Epsilon after a disastrous fire in their room in Cook's Block in 1881. The chapter remained here until they had a new house built in 1914.

lov0178.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Phi fraternity house on College Street. An African American male can be seen mowing the lawn.

lov0177.jpg
View of the Amherst College Delta Upsilon house on South Pleasant Street, purchased by the fraternity in 1882. The fraternity had a new house constructed in a different location in 1915, and Amherst College bought the property in 1917. The house was…

lov0175.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi lodge on Northampton Road, built by the fraternity in 1885.

LOV0173.jpg
View of the Amherst College Chi Psi lodge on Northampton Road, built by the fraternity in 1885.

LOV0172.jpg
View of the first Amherst College President's House on South Pleasant Street. Its cornerstone was laid by Noah Webster at the close of the inauguration of President Moore on September 18, 1821, the day before the formal opening of the College. The…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2