Browse Items (11 total)

  • Tags: Fires

Amherst House fire.jpg
View of the corner of Amity and South Pleasant Streets after the fire of December 9, 1926. The ruins of the Amherst House are visible, as well as the east side of the Amherst Cinema building. The Jones Library was operating on the second floor of the…

lov0458.jpg
View of the remains of the original South College building, lined with a crowd of students, after the fire in 1885. The walls which remain standing were incorporated into the new South College building.

lov0401.jpg
Aerial view of the crowded Town Common after the Amherst House fire of July 4, 1879. The Amherst Record of July 9, 1879 stated, "The scene on the common about daylight was a novel one. Everything from the stores had been carried there, and deposited…

lov0381.jpg
Ruins of Merchants' Row and the Amherst House after the fire of July 4, 1879.

lov0379.jpg
Aerial view of the crowded Town Common after the Amherst House fire of July 4, 1879. The Amherst Record of July 9, 1879 stated, "The scene on the common about daylight was a novel one. Everything from the stores had been carried there, and deposited…

lov0378.jpg
View of the crowded Town Common after the fire of July 4, 1879. The Fire Department is in the lower right corner. The Amherst Record of July 9, 1879 stated, "The scene on the common about daylight was a novel one. Everything from the stores had been…

lov0363.jpg
View of a large Victorian house with a well-shaded yard. The house was situated across from College Hall on Northampton Road. It was owned by Miss Lucia Delano when it burned December 3, 1876 and was used as a boarding house. Previous to this it was…

Tags: , ,

lov0331.jpg
View of Cook's Block on the west end of Phoenix Row with part of the roof burned off after the fire of April 4, 1881. A few trees in front of the block are coated with ice. The Amherst Record (April 6, 1881) states, "The cold was severe with the…

lov0330.jpg
View of Cook's Block on the west end of Phoenix Row with part of the roof burned off after the fire of April 4, 1881. A few trees in front of the block are coated with ice. The Amherst Record (April 6, 1881) states, "The cold was severe with the…

lov0321.jpg
View of Phoenix Row after renovations to Cook's Block required by the fire of April 4, 1881. Business signs visible include Henry Adams, Drugs and Medicines, and fire and life insurance agency. Pedestrians are visible on the sidewalk and a horse and…

lov0291.jpg
View of the ruins of the Palmer Block after the fire that started during the Blizzard of 1888. The Union Block and Cooper house next door were also consumed, though the chimneys of the Cooper house remained standing. Stated in the Amherst Record of…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2