Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Emily Dickinson

lov0305.jpg
View west on Main Street toward the center of town from about where the Dickinson Homestead is. Trees, hedges, and fences line the dirt sidewalks, and the road is unpaved and rutted.

WadsworthSermon.pdf
This sermon was preached at the beginning of the Civil War by Charles Wadsworth, a minister proclaimed by Emily Dickinson to be "My Shepherd from 'Little Girl'hood'." Dickinson had heard him preach at the Arch Street Presbyterian Church in…

lov0335.jpg
View of Main Street looking east, showing the William Austin Dickinson house and the Emily Dickinson house. People are standing on the sidewalk. This image shows the area near the current Sweetser Park.

Frazar_Stearns.jpg
Portrait of Frazar Stearns shortly before he was killed in the battle of Newbern. The photograph was for his parents (Amherst College President William A. Stearns and Rebecca Alden Frazar Stearns) as the signature underneath reads, "Your affec. son,…

lov1088.jpg
This business block is called Palmer Block and is where Emily Dickinson's father and brother operated their law firm. Written on verso: "C.J.W. from Mother Dec. 25, 1875."

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

Obit.pdf
Newspaper clipping of the obituary of Emily Dickinson written by Susan Dickinson and published in the Springfield Republican (May 18, 1886) and the Amherst Record (May 19, 1886).

lov0339.jpg
View east down the middle of Main Street with the First Congregational Church on the right and a section of one of the Dickinson houses on the left.

homestead_lithograph-1856.jpg
Lithograph of the Dickinson Homestead on Main Street shortly after the Homestead was reacquired by Edward Dickinson.

Bachelder1857lithograph4.jpg
Birds-eye-view lithograph of Amherst. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Published by John B. Bachelder between 1855 and 1857.

Includes insets: Residence of Prof. Edward Hitchcock, Residence of L.S. Sweetser, esq.; Residence of Hon. Edward…

lov0360.jpg
This building stood at the corner of Amity and North Pleasant Street. Samuel K. Orr remodeled it as a modern drug store and opened his shop there in 1859. According to the Springfield Republican (October 22, 1864 edition, page 8) William F. Gunn…

Evergreens in winter.jpg
View of the William Austin Dickinson house from across Main Street and with snow on the ground.

Scott_Prior_drawing.jpg
Interpretive drawing of Emily Dickinson done in pen, ink, and ink wash by local artist Scott Prior.

img571.jpg
Photograph of the Dickinson Homestead.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2