Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Emily Dickinson

Frazar_Stearns.jpg
Portrait of Frazar Stearns shortly before he was killed in the battle of Newbern. The photograph was for his parents (Amherst College President William A. Stearns and Rebecca Alden Frazar Stearns) as the signature underneath reads, "Your affec. son,…

img571.jpg
Photograph of the Dickinson Homestead.

Scott_Prior_drawing.jpg
Interpretive drawing of Emily Dickinson done in pen, ink, and ink wash by local artist Scott Prior.

AmherstRecordHomeAlmanac1877Resized.pdf
Almanac "containing matters of local interest, local business announcements...also some pages of miscellaneous reading." Includes a chronology of notable events (both local and national) for 1876, Amherst marriages and deaths for the year, statistics…

CutlerStorePage2.jpg
George Cutler & Co. account book page showing purchases by Edward Dickinson and William Austin Dickinson.

Obit.pdf
Newspaper clipping of the obituary of Emily Dickinson written by Susan Dickinson and published in the Springfield Republican (May 18, 1886) and the Amherst Record (May 19, 1886).

Bachelder1857lithograph4.jpg
Birds-eye-view lithograph of Amherst. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Published by John B. Bachelder between 1855 and 1857.

Includes insets: Residence of Prof. Edward Hitchcock, Residence of L.S. Sweetser, esq.; Residence of Hon. Edward…

WadsworthSermon.pdf
This sermon was preached at the beginning of the Civil War by Charles Wadsworth, a minister proclaimed by Emily Dickinson to be "My Shepherd from 'Little Girl'hood'." Dickinson had heard him preach at the Arch Street Presbyterian Church in…

MtHolyokeSemCat.pdf
This 16-page catalog lists trustees, teachers and pupils at the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for the year that Emily Dickinson attended, describing the course of study, entrance requirements, books used, vacations, Sabbath requirements, etc.

Attractions.pdf
This 24-page brochure describes Amherst during Emily Dickinson's lifetime including the landscape, highlights of Amherst College, changes to Kellogg Block, and businesses in Amherst center. There is a good description of the merchandise sold in each…

Am_Acad.jpg
View of Amity Street and Amherst Academy building, where Emily Dickinson went to school. The Academy building is three and one-half stories and federal style. The building was razed in 1868. Rev. David Parsons House is on the right. The Jones Library…

First Congregational Church Construction.jpg
Construction of the First Congregational Church on Main Street in the winter of 1867. This building was the fourth meetinghouse constructed by the congregation. Edward Dickinson (Emily's father) gave a speech at its dedication.

lov1088.jpg
This business block is called Palmer Block and is where Emily Dickinson's father and brother operated their law firm. Written on verso: "C.J.W. from Mother Dec. 25, 1875."

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2