Browse Items (136 total)

  • Tags: Business Industry and Transportation

AccountBookConnRiverCommerceResized.pdf
Account book kept by unknown person recording transportation of goods such as salt, molasses, and rum, up and down the Connecticut River during the years 1753 through 1756.

CutlerStorePage2.jpg
George Cutler & Co. account book page showing purchases by Edward Dickinson and William Austin Dickinson.

AmericanHouseBlock.jpg
This structure was built on the site where Noah Webster's house was located during the time he spent in Amherst writing his dictionary (1812-1822). It was built as the Hygeian Hotel. This statement was printed in the Springfield Republican edition of…

Attractions.pdf
This 24-page brochure describes Amherst during Emily Dickinson's lifetime including the landscape, highlights of Amherst College, changes to Kellogg Block, and businesses in Amherst center. There is a good description of the merchandise sold in each…

Commercial blocks, Main Street.jpg
Main Street businesses from Cook's Block east to the Lincoln Building. Visible businesses include W. F. Aubuchon Co., Town House Restaurant, Douglass-Marsh Furniture, The Gift Nook, and Bosco Cleaners. The two businesses on the left side of the…

Layingtrolleytracks (2).jpg
Upper Main Street is torn up as men lay track for the Amherst and Sunderland Street Railroad. Business blocks in Phoenix Row are visible on the right, and the Amherst House is visible in the background.

GermainStoreCushman.jpg
John and Martha Germain standing in front of their store in the Cushman section of Amherst (now the Cushman Market and Cafe). The Germains owned the store from 1919 to 1930.

Roberts_Flower_Shop.jpg
View of the small flower shop run by William Roberts and Cora Farmer located just north of Cowles Lane. This house was incorporated into the business block that exists now and became Knowles Flower Shop.

SPC61.jpg
Still standing on the corner of Amity and North Prospect Streets, the Prospect House is hardly recognizable. At a later date, more stories were added and it was covered with stucco. It has also been known as Drake's Hotel, The Village Inn, and The…

SPC63 (2).jpg
Formerly known as the Prospect House, this building is still standing on the corner of Amity and North Prospect Streets. Two stories were added and it was covered with stucco since its previous incarnation. It has also been known as Drake's Hotel,…

MAR23Faces.jpg
Flamingo decorations outside the building which housed Faces of Earth for about 20 years. The building is behind the Mobil station on North Pleasant Street and had previously housed a candlepin bowling alley. Faces had removed from the site by…

IMG_8322.jpg
Business sign in front of Cowls Building Supply in North Amherst.

IMG_8005.jpg
View of the railroad crossing in Cushman with the Cushman Market in the background.

IMG_8319.jpg
Business sign in front of Watroba's Market in North Amherst.

IMG_8327.jpg
Sign on the peak of the building housing the Harp Irish Pub in North Amherst.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2