Browse Items (287 total)

  • Tags: Amherst College

lov0131.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The building stands upon the site of the first meeting-house of the First Congregational Society The Cabinet and the Observatory were built in 1847 at a cost of $9000, which was raised by…

lov0063_1.jpg
From Handbook of Amherst by Frederick H. Hitchcock, 1894: "The building stands upon the site of the first meeting-house of the First Congregational Society The Cabinet and the Observatory were built in 1847 at a cost of $9000, which was raised by…

lov1012.jpg
This building was named in honor of Samuel Williston who donated the money used to construct it. Written on verso: "C.R. White from Mother 1873."

lov1011.jpg
View of Williston Hall showing Walker Hall and East College dormitory in the background.

lov0151.jpg
Side view of Williston Hall showing the entrance to the tower. The first North College once stood on this site before it burned in 1857. Hon. Samuel Williston of Easthampton donated money for a new building and Williston Hall was dedicated May 19,…

lov0150.jpg
Side view of Williston Hall showing the entrance to the tower. The first North College once stood on this site before it burned in 1857. Hon. Samuel Williston of Easthampton donated money for a new building and Williston Hall was dedicated May 19,…

lov0149.jpg
Front view of Williston Hall The first North College once stood on this site before it burned in 1857. Hon. Samuel Williston of Easthampton donated money for a new building and Williston Hall was dedicated May 19, 1858. The third floor originally…

lov0148.jpg
Front view of Williston Hall The first North College once stood on this site before it burned in 1857. Hon. Samuel Williston of Easthampton donated money for a new building and Williston Hall was dedicated May 19, 1858. The third floor originally…

lov0147.jpg
Side view of Williston Hall showing the entrance to the tower. The first North College once stood on this site before it burned in 1857. Hon. Samuel Williston of Easthampton donated money for a new building and Williston Hall was dedicated May 19,…

lov0056_1.jpg
This building was constructed in 1857-58 through the liberality of the Hon. Samuel Williston. It contained recitation rooms, and the third floor was occupied by the "Mather Collection of Art." In the hallway of the main entrance was located a brass…

lov1016.jpg
Construction of Walker Hall began in 1868. The building was dedicated in 1870, and was gutted by fire in 1882.

lov1015.jpg
Construction of Walker Hall began in 1868. The building was dedicated in 1870, and was gutted by fire in 1882.

lov0146.jpg
The second incarnation of Walker Hall, shown here from the front with a circular walkway, was completed in 1883 after the original building was gutted by fire. A portion of the outside wall survived the fire, was strengthened on the inside and…

lov0145.jpg
The second incarnation of Walker Hall, shown here from the side, was completed in 1883 after the original building was gutted by fire. A portion of the outside wall survived the fire, was strengthened on the inside and incorporated into the new…

lov0144.jpg
This is the original building constructed in 1868-1870 through gifts of money by William J. Walker and others. It was built to house the departments of Mathematics, Astronomy, and Natural Philosophy, and included a valuable collection of minerals…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2