Browse Items (287 total)

  • Tags: Amherst College

lov1015.jpg
Construction of Walker Hall began in 1868. The building was dedicated in 1870, and was gutted by fire in 1882.

lov1014.jpg
View across a meadow toward Amherst College with Amherst High School on the right and First Congregational Church on the left.

lov1013.jpg
View of the Amherst College Observatory from the south end of the Town Common.

lov1012.jpg
This building was named in honor of Samuel Williston who donated the money used to construct it. Written on verso: "C.R. White from Mother 1873."

lov1011.jpg
View of Williston Hall showing Walker Hall and East College dormitory in the background.

lov1010.jpg
Exterior view of Barrett Gymnasium.

lov1009.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1008.jpg
This building is the third meetinghouse constructed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst. First Church removed the east portico of this building in 1861, as shown in this photograph. Amherst College bought this building in 1867, and renamed…

lov1007.jpg
Exterior view of Stearns Chapel. Construction was initiated in 1864 by a monetary gift of William F. Stearns. More funds were raised and construction took place beginning in 1870. The building was razed in 1949, except for the steeple, which stands…

lov1006.jpg
View of East College dormitory before the completion of Stearns Chapel in 1873. There is a group of students in front playing baseball.

lov1005.jpg
Rows of glass display cases in a long room with a dinosaur skeleton in the foreground and an elephant mural on the far wall.

lov1004.jpg
View of the Amherst College Observatory from the south end of the Town Common.

lov1003.jpg
Looking north across the portico of Johnson Chapel. There are students lounging on the steps and against trees.

lov1002.jpg
This view demonstrates why Amherst College was known as the college on the hill. The tower of Johnson Chapel stands out along the skyline.

lov1001.jpg
Looking over pews toward the front with a view of the arched ceiling and the organ pipes.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2