Browse Items (287 total)

  • Tags: Amherst College

lov0019.jpg
Collage view of three scenes showing the Amherst College campus, the Town Common, and Main Street.

lov0020.jpg
Collage view of three scenes described as the Gymnasium, Walker Hall, and a view of Lessey Street.

lov0022.jpg
Collage view of five Amherst College scenes showing Morgan Library, the Observatory, Appleton Cabinet, College Hall, and a general view of the campus.

lov0023.jpg
Collage view of three aerial scenes described as southeast view from college - hills and Holyoke Range, general view, and view of Walker Hall.

lov0024.jpg
Collage view of four Amherst College fraternities listed as Alpha Delta Phi, Psi Upsilon, Chi Phi, Delta Upsilon, and two views of Whately Glen.

lov0026.jpg
Collage view of four Amherst College fraternity houses described as Beta Theta Pi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Chi Psi, and Phi Delta Theta.

lov0054.jpg
This view, taken from Morgan Library, shows nearly all the college buildings.

lov0055_1.jpg
South College (in the foreground) is the oldest building on the College grounds and was constructed in 1820 and used as a dormitory. In 1891 it was extensively altered and modernized. The chapel, constructed in 1827, was used for morning prayers and…

lov0056_1.jpg
This building was constructed in 1857-58 through the liberality of the Hon. Samuel Williston. It contained recitation rooms, and the third floor was occupied by the "Mather Collection of Art." In the hallway of the main entrance was located a brass…

lov0057_1.jpg
Originally constructed in 1871 through the generosity of Dr. W. J. Walker, this building was destroyed by fire in 1882, and rebuilt in 1883. This is the second incarnation of Walker Hall. It contained lecture and recitation rooms and offices for the…

lov0058_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1860, and was named for Dr. Benjamin Barrett, a large contributor to the fund for its construction. Amherst was the first College to introduce gymnastic exercise as a part of regular College work.

lov0059_1.jpg
This building was completed in 1884, and cost $68,000. It received its name in honor of Mr. Charles M. Pratt, of the class of 1879, through whose generosity it was erected. The first floor contained the office of the Professor of Hygiene and Physical…

lov0060_1.jpg
This church building was erected in 1870-71 from designs by W.A. Potter of New York and through the generosity of William F. Stearns, who contributed the largest portion of the funds for its erection. The gable ends of the building were decorated by…

lov0061_1.jpg
Interior of Stearns Church showing pews, arches, the right transept, the carved pillar at the entrance, and a magnificent organ in the background. The church seated about 600 people.

lov0062_1.jpg
This building was erected in 1855 and was named for the Hon. Samuel Appleton. It contained the Hitchcock Ichnological Collection, the Gilbert Museum of Indian Relics, and the Adams Zoological Collection.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2