Browse Items (65 total)

  • Tags: 1900s

cj2185.jpg
A road leading up to the Johnson place. A barn stands in the field on the left, separated from the road by a fence. A woodpile stands by the road. A house and farm buildings visible in the middleground with the Connecticut river partly visible on the…

johnson_clifton_flying_a_kite.jpg
Clifton Johnson's children, Arthur, Roger, and Margaret fly a kite. Arthur is flying the kite, Roger is holding a long stick, watching, and Margaret is pointing to the kite.

img515 R.jpg
Newspaper article glued to a scrapbook page. The article describes the history of the relationship of Sir Chentung Liang Cheng to the town and the people of Amherst. Cheng came to the United States about 1875 (at the age of 12) as part of the Chinese…

img437 R.jpg
Photograph and newspaper article detailing the history of the old Kellogg house on North East Street, the house that became the first long term post office in Amherst. The story includes interesting tidbits including a description of the murals that…

TaxRecords_wrap_1900.html
Tax record book showing property owned and its value.

Trade_Card_Diamond_Dyes1.jpg
Trade card distributed by the Amherst pharmacy W. H. H. Morgan around the turn of the century. The illustration is an image of a group of young women being instructed in home economics. On the back is printed the price, the list of colors, and other…

NorthChurch.jpg
Looking north toward Montague Road with North Congregational Church in the foreground.

AmericanHouseBlock.jpg
This structure was built on the site where Noah Webster's house was located during the time he spent in Amherst writing his dictionary (1812-1822). It was built as the Hygeian Hotel. This statement was printed in the Springfield Republican edition of…

Layingtrolleytracks (2).jpg
Upper Main Street is torn up as men lay track for the Amherst and Sunderland Street Railroad. Business blocks in Phoenix Row are visible on the right, and the Amherst House is visible in the background.

SPC489A.jpg
View looking toward the Old Chapel and the area where the Fine Arts Center is currently located.

SPC378ACDiningCommons.jpg
Purchased by Amherst College in 1892, the Boltwood House was remodeled as a student dining hall and renamed Hitchcock Hall. It was razed in 1916 for the construction of Converse Memorial Library, now Converse Hall.

AmherstCenter.jpg
Turn of the century view of the center of Amherst looking west toward the Amherst House from the north end of the Town Common.

Advertisement Jackson and Cutler.jpg
Advertisement for the firm of Jackson & Cutler which succeeded the firm of George Cutler & Co. in 1884. The store sold clothing and related articles. The women drawn in the ad have a feminine, wasp-waisted, Gibson Girl look.

View west from Mt Pleasant.jpg
View toward the west from the top of Mount Pleasant, looking out over an orchard.

lov0334.jpg
View of a Knox truck belonging to Egbert E. Perry loaded with trunks. The Knox truck was built in Springfield and was a gas-powered, two-cylinder vehicle. Egbert E. Perry was in the trucking business from 1899 to 1928. There are men and boys standing…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2