Browse Items (173 total)

  • Tags: 1870s

img757.jpg
John L. Lovell’s home, on North Prospect Street, still stands. It is easily recognizable by its rounded dormer windows, in a Gothic Cottage style relatively rare to Amherst. A similar image, also captured by Lovell himself, exists in stereoscopic…

AmherstRecordHomeAlmanac1877Resized.pdf
Almanac "containing matters of local interest, local business announcements...also some pages of miscellaneous reading." Includes a chronology of notable events (both local and national) for 1876, Amherst marriages and deaths for the year, statistics…

CutlerStorePage2.jpg
George Cutler & Co. account book page showing purchases by Edward Dickinson and William Austin Dickinson.

Attractions.pdf
This 24-page brochure describes Amherst during Emily Dickinson's lifetime including the landscape, highlights of Amherst College, changes to Kellogg Block, and businesses in Amherst center. There is a good description of the merchandise sold in each…

StBrigids.jpg
St. Bridget's Church was the first Catholic church building in Amherst. It was home to the Catholic community in Amherst from 1871 to 1925. It was then used as a hall for a couple of years before being sold in 1927 and subsequently remodeled and…

Lovell House.jpg
View of the house on North Prospect Street that was the residence of Amherst photographer John L. Lovell. It is Gothic Cottage style, rare in Amherst. According to the October 7, 1869 edition of the Hampshire Franklin Express, construction was…

lov1117.jpg
This house on Mount Pleasant was constructed by William S. Clark about 1870 when he was President of Massachusetts Agricultural College. The Clark family owned the house until about 1889, after which it was used as a hotel called the Mount Pleasant…

lov1112.jpg
The Botanical Museum was constructed in 1867 and was one of the original four buildings constructed before the first class of students arrived in the fall of the same year. It stood behind the original Durfee Conservatory and was destroyed by fire in…

lov1111.jpg
Built in 1869, this structure housed the chemistry lab, a chapel, and a military hall and armory. It burned in September of 1922.

lov1110.jpg
South College was used as a dormitory in the early years of Massachusetts Agricultural College. Constructed in 1867, it was gutted by fire in the winter of 1885 and rebuilt, using some of the walls of the original building which had not burned.

lov1109.jpg
South College was used as a dormitory in the early years of Massachusetts Agricultural College. Constructed in 1867, it was gutted by fire in the winter of 1885 and rebuilt, using some of the walls of the original building which had not burned.

lov1108.jpg
View of the Massachusetts Agricultural campus from the top of a grassy hill.

lov1103.jpg
View of the Epiphyllum Hookeri (night-blooming cactus) photographed with magnesium light.

"There were parties to watch the rare night-blooming cereus unfold. It was not so uncommon in Amherst as in other places because of the Agricultural College.…

lov1093.jpg
View of mills in the Cushman section of North Amherst. Written on verso: "The "Forge", later the "Bunghole"; used to forge "frogs" for railroad construction; on south bank of Mill River shortly west of bridge. "

lov1092.jpg
View of a waterfall at Puffers Pond in North Amherst. Written on verso: "The Golden Gate Falls, No. Amherst."
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2